After we found out we were pregnant, we had three different themes for nursery decor in mind. Regardless of if it was a boy or a girl, we were going to keep with the same theme(s). Our first option was Doctor Who because we are both huge fans of the series. After realizing that may be a little more elaborate & expensive than we wanted, we went to our other two ideas – outer space & dinosaurs. Not able to choose between the two, we went with a ‘Dinosaurs in Space’ theme and it turned out wonderfully! Although we only considered a few themes for O, there are others that I’ve found online or saw in other moms’ nursery’s that I really liked. Below is my Top Ten List of Nursery Themes for boys and/or girls. Hopefully something in my list will spark inspiration for your little’s nursery!
First, I wanted to share O’s nursery with you!
- Dinosaurs. This is a rather popular theme for many little boys’ nurseries. It’s also completely fine to do this theme for a little girl – dinosaurs are for everyone!
- Jungle. The zoo/jungle theme is pretty popular. We recently found out our little boy loves giraffes!
- Princess. This can be girly, but it can also be taken down a notch so it’s not so ‘frilly’.
- Outer Space. This is a fun theme for a boy or girl & it can be as elaborate or simple as you wish! So many ideas!
- Shabby Chic. This is more for a girl’s nursery, but it can be as girly or not as you want!
- Bears. Teddy bears, Paddington Bear, brown bears, black bears, polar bears, Chicago Bears! The ideas are endless when it comes to bears!
- Airplanes. This is a fun theme, especially for a little boy. If you have someone in the family who is a pilot, this could really be a wonderful theme for a nursery!
- Polka Dot or Stripes. This is a simpler theme, but it can be as decorative as you wish. I really love the polka dot or stripes theme for either a baby boy or baby girl nursery. So many options!
- ABC’s. The ABC’s theme is a classic. I have seen so many wonderfully decorated nurseries with the alphabet incorporated into them – all were amazing! This theme can also grow with baby – it’s perfect for a toddler’s room too!
- Library/Literary. Always a favorite of mine. We have a mini library in O’s nursery now, but will have to expand soon because he has A LOT of books! I love these shelves – such a neat idea to really make your little’s nursery into a library.